Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Parking Shenanigans @ Korean Malls

The other day Sativa Mariposa and I stopped for lunch at the IPark mall here in Seoul. Now, the malls here are not configured like the malls in the US with their acreage of parking lots surrounding suburban accoutrements. The malls in Korea tend to be buildings of the verticle variety with attached parking garages; so on, and so forth.

Anyhoo, Ms. Boozer and I, in our last minute effort to get tasty delicious grub, as opposed the Booger King/Taco Hell style food on the Army base, went through the ordeal of actually finding the parking garage and eventually made our way to the 5th story of the parking garage at the very last section. Slightly irritated, and severely hungry, we made our way into the mall and dined on delicious Thai food and then went into Emart; the entrance to which is located on the 1st floor with groceries in the basement floors.

Emart is like Walmart, but it doesn't hurt my soul and my ears (easy listening, anybody) so much and the samples/store made food are freakin' awesome. The throngs of people in the store made navigating the store feel like I was in a version of human Frogger.

Well, after burning an hour or so getting grindage and groceries, we made our way back up to the 5th floor garage and were quite dismayed to see the a string of cars had parked perpendicular to to our row of course; thus blocking us and a few other vehicles in. I exclaimed neatly heated words in disbelief and began cooking up a good Soviet threat story to justify me completely kicking the shit out of a compact car and giving a careless Korean car operator whatfor in the form of vulgar verbal jihad. Rarrarrrarrrrrrrrrrr!!! Who would seriously do such a thing in cIear conscience?

I scanned the parking lot hopelessly looking for aid, comfort, or a helping hand just like a dingo ate my baby. Frantically, I checked the doors to see if they were unlocked; no dice. Wondering what we were going to do, and the threat of children waking up and haranguing Forrest in the air, I noticed that the gear shifter was not in park. Hmm... I then saw the gleaming glimmer of hope arc acrossed my frontal lobe like electricity. I got behind the car in front of the one behind my car and pushed it forward. Then I pushed the car sitting behind my car into the spot I had just cleared. Bingo! Jackpot! We then drove to our next checkpoint and I successfully avoided having a massive coronary.

Once again, my perceptions have been altered for the better by living abroad (that is, in a foreign country,  and not wearing a dress and make-up, you perv). A pragmatic approach was taken and a highly successful meme spread in reaction to a dense population and space being at a premium in Seoul.

On the way to the Army base I wondered if I could do the same thing in 'Merica? My first reaction was to rant and rave at being severely inconvenienced before I solved the riddle.

Would most 'Mericans! do the same?

Would my car be in the same shape as when I left it?

Would violence be visited upon my head?

Would the law be called?

Discuss.

1 comment:

  1. Well fuck. number 1 didn't know your asses were abroad, and number 2 wtf?! Parking In a way that blocks someone else in is rude! I am pretty sure as mericans we feel entitled, so i am pretty sure that a peaceful solution is the road less travelled and I commend you. Amen brother.

    ReplyDelete